American ginseng, also known as American ginseng in our daily life, is a traditional tonic medicine in traditional Chinese medicine. Compared with ginseng, American ginseng has the characteristics of nourishing but not easily causing excessive internal heat. So, what are the specific benefits of soaking American ginseng in water? What taboos should we pay attention to when drinking?
Efficacy and Indications of American Ginseng
The root of American ginseng is used as medicine. Traditional Chinese medicine believes that it is cold in nature, sweet in taste and slightly bitter. It has the effects of invigorating qi, nourishing yin, clearing fire and promoting fluid production. It is clinically applicable to the treatment of diseases such as hyperactivity of fire due to yin deficiency, cough, phlegm and blood, internal heat, diabetes, dryness of mouth and throat, etc.
The efficacy of American ginseng is recorded in Ben Cao Re Xin:
It can be used for treating lung fire, cough with excessive phlegm, qi deficiency and asthma, blood loss, fatigue and injury, consolidating essence and tranquilizing mind, and producing various deficiency.
Benefits of American ginseng soaked in water
1. Anti-fatigue: Pharmacological studies show that saponins in American ginseng have the function of enhancing the central nervous system, thus promoting the elimination of fatigue and memory.
2. Blood vessel protection: Studies have shown that American ginseng saponin can expand blood vessels and promote blood circulation, thus having certain benefits in lowering blood pressure and preventing cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases such as arteriosclerosis.
3. Enhancing immunity: American ginseng, as a nourishing medicinal material, has the advantages of promoting the synthesis of nutrient components such as serum protein, bone marrow protein and the like, and improving the immunity of the body.
4. Clearing deficiency fire: American ginseng is a kind of cold and cool traditional Chinese medicine, and it has the effects of nourishing yin and invigorating qi. It can improve the symptoms of diseases such as dry throat and tongue, thirst, fluid deficiency or deficiency-heat, vexation and tiredness clinically.
5. Anti-aging: Polysaccharides contained in Panax quinquefolium L. have anti-oxidation effect, which can help eliminate oxidation free radicals in the body, thus having anti-aging effect.
Although American ginseng is good, these four taboos should be kept in mind
1. Cold constitution with caution
As American ginseng is a traditional Chinese medicine with cold nature, American ginseng should be used with caution for people with weak and cold constitution, so as to avoid aggravating cold constitution and causing diarrhea, vomiting and other adverse symptoms.
2. Do not eat discouraged food
During the period of taking American ginseng, taboo should be put on certain foods with the function of discouraging, so as to ensure the nourishing effect of American ginseng. Common discouraged foods include radish, water spinach, etc.
3. Don't drink strong tea and coffee
Strong tea contains tannic acid, and drinking strong tea during the administration of American ginseng is easy to destroy its effective components, as is coffee, so tea and coffee can only be drunk after 3 days of administration of American ginseng.
4. Do not supplement the non-empty constitution
Panax quinquefolium L. is nourishing and suitable for people with deficiency syndrome constitution. Therefore, if there is no deficiency syndrome in the constitution itself, it should be avoided.
Diet prescription for American ginseng
American ginseng lean meat porridge
Materials: 5g American ginseng, 100g lean meat and 100g japonica rice
Practice: Clean polished round-grained rice, put it into a pot, add a proper amount of clear water, boil it with strong fire for 5 minutes, add lean meat and American ginseng, and boil it with slow fire to make porridge.
Efficacy: invigorating qi and nourishing yin.